Keep your home flood-free this spring!
Spring is typically the wettest time of year thanks to melting snow and frequent rain. Use these tips to reduce your risk of a flood around your home.
- Remove snow from around the foundation and clear the areas around window wells.
- Clear eavestroughs and downspouts. Repair leaks and make sure water can flow off your roof and away from your foundation towards the street or backyard.
- Clear drainage ditches and culverts of all debris to keep water flowing into sewers.
- Wait until the possibility of frost has passed before re-opening valves to outside water hose connections.
- Make sure the land around your home slopes away from the foundation.
- Check that your sidewalks, patios, decks and driveway have not shifted to cause water to drain back towards your home.